The entire group of 27 Foretravel coaches went their separate ways Saturday morning! Of course, Kris and I were the last to leave as usual. Everyone but us had a long way to travel to get to their next destination. We said our good-byes Friday evening at our farewell banquet. The banquet was a lot of fun and the food was abundant as usual. I can't believe I haven't gained any weight on this trip!
Kris and I are no longer considered motorcade "first timers" which is good because we've signed up for several motorcades next year: Washington DC, Pacific Coast [from Bodega Bay just north of San Francisco to Anacortes, WA], Alaska, San Antonio, Breaux Bridge, LA [Grandvention] and Rayne, LA for Christmas. It's looking more and more like we won't be home much in 2011 although there is always the possibility we may decide not to go on all of them. The way I'm feeling today, that is a very good possibility! I keep telling myself I could never be a "full timer" in an RV but it sure seems like we are trying. I do miss my home when we're away but I asked Kris if he ever missed home and he says he doesn't even think about it, so "not really". I know his folks miss him terribly. Fortunately, we have cell service most everywhere we go and can keep in touch.
Getting back to Saturday, we had a very short day of driving. We camped near a state park at Rocky Fork Lake in Hillsboro, Ohio. It was the last day of the season for this campground, they would be shutting off water and electric the morning we would depart. We spent Saturday aternoon visiting Kris's relatives, Jean and Mary Lou, in Greenfield, Ohio, which is also where his mother grew up. We drove by the house she was raised in as well as the K-12 school. We visited Jean and Mary Lou once again the next morning before heading on down the road. It was nice to see them again and very difficult to say good-bye. The last time we saw them was in Seattle shortly after Kris and I got together.
Our next stop was Louisville, KY where we had dinner last night with an old friend of Kris's. Chuck and Kris used to work at UPS together B.S. [before Shannon]. We didn't have a chance to see much else in Kentucky and we noticed the highways there were sorely in need of repair.
I forget where, but we gained an hour today which is always nice! We're back in the central time zone. Tonight we'll camp in Woodville near the Unclaimed Luggage Center in Scottsboro, Alabama. I've been looking forward to visiting this place for two years, when we were last in this area and didn't have time to stop. There were a few places in Kentucky I would've liked to stop and see, such as the Diamond Caverns, Coca-Cola Museum and Lincoln's birthplace but we have to be in Nacogdoches, Texas in time for ladies driving school where I'll attempt to learn to drive our RV. I'm only learning in case of emergency. I can't imagine actually wanting to drive the thing for any period of time. I've seen Kris white knuckle it and he's been driving RVs for many, many years! I wonder what color my knuckles would be? What comes after white, purple maybe, after holding your breath and cutting off all circulation?
Will write more later and still need to upload some pictures as well...
No comments:
Post a Comment