It's been three days since I last posted. There is so much going on! Monday's bus tour, which I opted out of, consisted of a visit to Bucyrus [beeuu-cyrus] for a tour of D. Picking and Company where they have been making copper kettles since 1873 and is the last of the old copper shops in America still making its original product by hand. Advanced Fiber where they change recycled paper into insulation and black top filler, had to cancel at the last moment due to equipment problems. Kris was really disappointed about that. After lunch, they got a history of the town's murals and visited an antique farm and household museum [yawn]...
The next day, Tuesday, they visited the C.E. White company, manufacturer of bus seats [such as the ones we have been sitting on in each bus tour we've taken]. Kris was impressed with the seats that had built-in booster seats that come down for children and have seat belts. Next, they toured Herald Printing and saw the process of printing from the electronical prepress stage to the digital imaging, press department and bindery finishing department. I used to work for a printing company and didn't go on either of these tours. They just didn't quite call my name!
Today, we broke camp and drove an hour down the road to Dundee where we'll spend the next six nights! It was a sunny, beautiful day. I know you must get tired of hearing that but what else can I say? This evening we drove a short distance to Berlin where we all crowded into an Amish family's home for dinner. There were over 50 of us lined up inside their lovely home at tables set up just for this purpose. The family consisted of a husband and wife and their four children still living at home. They were both widowed in their 30's so this was their second marriage which is unusual for the Amish. He had five children, she had four, then they had two together. When the children started getting married and moving out, they had to stop farming [not enough help] so now he does wood working and she gardens and hosts dinners for motor coach groups, family reunions and church banquets. Three or four daughters assist with this. They were extremely friendly and the food was out of this world! Home cooking at its best! Afterwards, we had the opportunity to buy some of their homemade bread, peanut butter and other items at a very reasonable cost. I bought a small fabric bag most likely sewn on a treadle machine as they don't have electricity. I also brought home a hedgehog cucumber which they gave as a memento. We ate so much, I think we'll be skipping our meals tomorrow! Oh my... What a wonderful experience!
Internet is slow so I will post pictures tomorrow... night all.
No comments:
Post a Comment