Sunday, September 19, 2010

The things you see driving across country...

We left SLC at 10am this morning which is bright and early for us! Usually it's more like 11am before we're on the road. I've see people leave as early as 7, but I don't now how they do it. I have to get dressed, walk the dog for at least half an hour, fix and eat breakfast, feed the dog, take her out again, shower, pack up the RV and bring in the slides while Kris washes dishes, unhooks the electrical, water and dumps the holding tanks if needed! I'd have to get up at 5am to do all that and be able to leave by 7. Not happening. Especially after being woke up by a very loud THUNK [Kris's prosthetic leg falling down] at 3am and not being able to get back to sleep for what seemed like hours. I hate it when that happens!

The first thing we needed to do today was fuel up. We didn't have enough fuel to make it to our destination and would be traveling some pretty desolate areas. We finally found a Flying J just before a long stretch of nothing and added 116 gallons of diesel. Good, now we are good to travel all the way across Colorado and half way across Kansas.

So here I sit, Gabbi stretched out next to me [wind in her face from the vent], netbook on my lap and iced tea in the cup holder. Does it get any better than this? Hubby does the driving, I do the navigating and look for interesting things out the window.Today we see a lot of the same and for awhile, even lose our internet signal but since changing to Verizon we have a cell signal almost always. We could rarely say that when we had Nextel/Sprint. It's nice for Kris to be able to check in with his parents frequently and they can reach out for us if needed.

After a little over 4 hours of driving we found a rest stop near the turn off to Moab where we ate lunch and walked Gabbi. It's so nice having your kitchen and bathroom on board, not to mention being able to watch TV while eating and run your air conditioning. It's nearly 100F where we are. Only 80 miles togo until we're in Grand Junction! This is a pretty typical day for us on the road but the days really do go by fast... It's nice having internet while on the road!

As you can tell, there's not a lot going on today but I did take a few photos out the dirty windshield along the way. We saw some amazing territorial views and the most incredible reds, oranges and yellows in the trees on the mountainside today! My camera just doesn't do justice to the fall colors but here are a few shots.



Here are a some trucks hauling wind turbine parts as well as wind turbines on the ground.

  












We just entered Colorado and are only 34 miles from our destination. My bottom side is happy about that! But the first campground we chose was not to be. I didn't make a reservation which I normally do, and they were full due to a weekend wine festival. They pointed us to another campground a few miles down the road that we liked even more AND they had a spot for us! A few minutes later, we were all settled in. Sometimes things just work out the way they're supposed to!

Tonight I am stuffing a few Starbarks dog toys that need to go into the mail tomorrow. I'm starting to wonder if I really want to leave my Etsy online store open while we're on the road. As soon as we reach Branson we'll be busy with group activities through the end of October and I never know when I'm going to get an order. I'm still working on another project I brought along and need to finish and ship it in time for Christmas. I'm "sew" glad I have that to keep me busy. I would be at a loss without a sewing project that I enjoy!


My sewing booth aka dining booth!


Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment