Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sadly, we said good-bye to our best friends yesterday, the last day of February. We would be leaving the warm sunshine of Montgomery to go home, where I heard we have fresh snow on the ground! Are we crazy or what? Don't answer that! Truth be told, we should've been home two months ago but life happens and here we are.
I can't believe we're leaving the KOA campground and sunshine behind...
The first day of our trip home, we drove to Kerrville, not far from Austin and San Antonio. We pulled into the Buckhorn Lake Resort off I-10 and what a treat that turned out to be! First of all it is a beautiful resort and there are only three nights a week they offer dinner in their cafe' and we were lucky enough to be there on one of those nights! We had the most scrumptuous spaghetti, including a salad, garlic bread and a brownie sundae for dessert! They even had live music after dinner. There was a rally going on in the park so the cafe' was pretty full. We met a lot of nice folks and we also ran into some of our Foretravel friends that were on the Ohio Motorcade with us.

The picture doesn't do Buckhorn Lake Resort justice!
We excused ourselves after dinner and headed back to the coach to relax. Driving all day really does zap your energy. That night, unfortunately Gabbi was not able to hold it in and I woke up this morning to a pile of "you know what" on the living room floor. She is usually such a good girl so I know she couldn't help it. I couldn't blame her, she hasn't been feeling up to par for the past week. So, after cleaning up, I took her on a long walk, then into the shower for a nice, warm "bath". After that I fixed breakfast for everyone and she ate hers right up so I'm hoping she is on the mend.

It was downright freezing outside this morning but it warmed up quite fast and after a short, but nice visit with our Foretravel friends, we headed on down the road. We got a later start than we wanted, but that's the way it goes most days. Our goal today was about 300 miles almost due west, to Balmorhea State Park in Toyahvale, TX. It looked like a neat place and fit right in with our driving schedule but really turned out to be out in the middle of nowhere! They have a 1.75 acre spring fed swimming pool with scuba diving and snorkeling. The pool goes from 2' to 25' deep and stays around 75 degrees year round. Unfortunately, when we got here, it was anything but what we expected. The reviews I read were good but they must've been written at a different time of the year. We barely fit in our campsite, it was dusty and dry and there are NO shade trees anywhere only weeds as far as the eye can see. I was happy that at least it was 80 degrees. Soon enough we'll be in the cold weather.


In the morning, we'll be out of here and on our way to Las Cruces, NM. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment